Why Job evaluation & Compensation Management matter
Job Evaluation and Compensation Management – Job evaluation is a method of comparing different jobs to ensure that all staff are graded fairly and equitably – when considering each job in relation to others in the organisation – and equally with other staff undertaking similar jobs or jobs of equal value.
Employment equity is extremely important, especially in the social context of South Africa where many groups were marginalized during Apartheid.
Why is Job Evaluation Important?
Job evaluation and Compensation Management assists an organisation in the following ways:
- Promotes transparency around pay decisions
- Allows for a fair system of remuneration
- Enables the gauging of external competitiveness
- Supports the notion of equal pay (Equal Pay for Work of Equal Value)
- Supports recruitment, career development and succession planning
- It is very important to note that only the job is evaluated, not the person doing the job.
Advantages of Job Evaluation
Some of the attributes of an effective job evaluation methodology include:
- Principles are not complex and are usually easily understood
- All roles within a business are evaluated using the same methodology
- It evaluates specialist roles as effectively as non-specialist roles
- It is flexible
Our role is to evaluate a company’s workforce to ensure that everyone is receiving fair pay for the role they are fulfilling; having a fair compensation scheme increases morale and mental wellness in the workplace. It also makes your company a more attractive place to work.
We help employers take an objective look at a role and not the person performing the role. It’s quite easy for an employer to take a subjective look at an employee performing a job, and become biased around fair remuneration for them.
Think People notes that based on the Great Resignation the current market that exists is an employee’s market. “Key employee retention is more critical than ever before, and it is likely to be a top HR priority for organisations.”
Learn more about our Job Evaluation Services.